Sunday, October 02, 2005

forgiveness

I was going to do a blog called friend facts, writing down fun facts about my friends and you match their name to a sentence you think might be about them. I still might someday. But I changed my mind, all day the theme of forgiveness has come to mind, the cabbie, morning church, on t.v., in a story I was reading, and then again in church tonight. What does it really mean to forgive, I have had this question come to mind a lot this last year. Remember I have foot-in-mouth disorder, with the problem comes a few rude comments.
I also take everything said to me straight to heart, then stay up half of the night thinking what the hidden meaning to their words could be.
Today I found forgiveness is a hard thing for me, did I really forgive the cab driver? In a way, I wasn't mad at him and he did give me a story, but a little part of me must have been, I wrote an entire blog about the poor guy.
People say all the time to "forgive and forget", now I can forgive to a point but forget! When I try to forget I harbor it within me all the more, thinking of this painful thing and having to let go, only to find I'm holding onto it all the more harder.
I let things go so much to heart, that in the end I'm the one needing to be forgiven, most often then not the person who wronged me has no idea they have even hurt me in the first place, so I try to laugh away the hurt making fun of myself with them, to show it never got to me or I become very quite. Which for me is a big thing, I even talk in my sleep.
In Church tonight we were reading about how God forgives sins and remembers them no more, meaning that He won't keep on rubbing our past sins or wrong doings back in our face the next time we mess up.
Now if only I could do that. When one of my best friends past away this last year, my sister had a hard time with me, she was upset that I was able to spend the last days of our friends life with her and she wasn't. So when I need a friend at that time too, she was pushing me away. We ended up having a small fight which turned into something much bigger, by bringing up past hurts we never forgave, to bring them up at that time. We ended up not talking to each other at a point in our lives when we really could have lent on one other.
We have both now forgiven the other, but now it's always there sitting between us and things have not been the same, not that it can't get better.
So how does one forgive and forget? I would really like to know the answer to this, If God can do it and we are his children, why can't we?

note: I'm not mad at anyone, just confused about this theme for my day
note: I love my sister with my whole heart
note: I love talking about the cabbie

3 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger Superjan said...

I was looking forward to friend facts. But this is a good reminder too...

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi joy! i think the advice "forgive and forget" is bad advice for although we need to emulate God's forgiveness, there are certains areas we cannot. Being able to forget a wrong is one of those God things that we cannot actually do. However, being able to truly forgive someone and not hold it against them is something that God can do in us.

I have learned this from a couple of people who are close to me. I used to be very rigid on the "forgive and move on" because I have never struggled to do so. I have come to realize that it is just the way God made me. In fact, my memory is so bad that I do actually forget things.

This is not the way he makes us all and I see now that the people who advise others to "forgive and forget" are the ones who do not struggle in this area. Theirs is elsewhere.

Since our faith is a journey and is characterized by growth, we are always moving closer, but never reaching our final goal. Forgiveness is part of that journey. We are all moving towards "God-like" forgiveness. Some of us are closer than others, but we are all still on the journey.

Oops... this looks like a blog in a blog... i'll quit here...

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Keller said...

Chris... you need to write a blog about this in your own space... lol. Hey Joy, I agree with Chris. Forgiveness has always been easy for me, but forgetting is not so easy. Unfortunately, we do reap the consequences of the sin that others sow. I tend to let things bother me for quite a significant period of time, even though I have forgiven... if that makes sense.

This also is turning into a blog so I too will stop.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home