Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Manager?
Today I went into work and right off the bat the owner comes up to me ( well taking to other people ) and asks me to be a manger. She wants to get me started right away, for another manager is going on vacation and they need me to replace him. Then she tell me we'll talk later and walks away with the people she was talking to.

Two weeks ago I'm trying to quit and now she is wanting to make me manager... What do I do? I won't be serving tables, so there goes my tips. I will have to gain the respect of my co-worker.. and have them come to me with all there silly problems. I would be the one getting all the mad customers.... late hours, early mornings... deal with all the money matters... people who come in late or just don't show up. Find people to cover shifts.. ect..
I know I can do it and I think it would only be for a short time, but then is it even worth it?
Why me and why now?
I just want to make the right move and do Gods will but then every time I try to change or get out... Boston Pizza just keeps sucking me back... so then is this God's will for my life and how do I know? What should I do?... I wish I had that easy button, like in the ads.

15 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how long for? Two weeks?
It would look good on your resume... I've been told that being the boss isn't always that much fun and by your comments you seem to know what you are in for, so I say why not.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger shinbone #4 said...

true, manage for a couple of weeks... then you'll know if you hate it or not... if you do, well give it a miss.
AND keep praying - God has something right up your alley I'm sure of it. Let HIM give you the desires of your heart.

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I guess I have no choice. Tonight I went in and she told me I start training next week. I guess this one was taken out of my hands. I asked her also if it would only be for the two weeks and she told me that she wanted another manager anyway. And that I would be a manager/ server from now on.. Oh well.

 
At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

will you be getting a pay raise? with more responsibility should come more money. if they haven't already brought it up, you should ask about it. i think it's about time.

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have every right to a pay raise. You are, after all, taking on more responsibility and losing tips. There are some really good advantages, too. Management not only looks awesome on a resume in ANY job of the future, but it is also a stable, budgetable income which looks good at a bank if you decide to get a car or one day a house. Most managerment will also get bonus' for improving the company...you won't get that as a waitress.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Desiree said...

I have been a manager once, and you couldn't pay me enough to do it again.

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

let us know how your first day as a manager goes!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Joy, I was given an easy button...come to Sylvan and I'll let you use it.

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet, heck yes I well!

 
At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't do it. I went ahead to the future and saw that your hours increased and pay decreased because of a lack of tips. HOwever, in light of this, your resume looked much prettier than it does currently, and this is good for future employment.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Superjan said...

dang Joy...or should I say, Boss?

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger shinbone #4 said...

joe humphrey my hero!

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Swoosh said...

Well, Joy, it seems most of what I was going to say has already been said. Definately talk about the pay raise. And Kelly, can I come to Sylvan to use the easy button?!

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Swoosh said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Megan said...

Yeah, if there's no pay raise, what is the benefit? Hmm... let us know how it goes...and good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home