Monday, July 10, 2006

Birthdays

My birthday is just six days away and for years I would make a big deal over them, I would tell people about my birthday months in advance. (I did get teased about it, but I never cared)
It was my day! A day all about me and for that day people would try and make me happy... they would want me around, it was a day of gifts and a day out of the year like no other.
Each year I could feel my birthday ( I don't know how to word this.... but each year this joy for this day over took me) and then the day would come, excitement filled the air.
You open your eyes and know this was your day!
My brothers would be all happy just wanting to see the mystery gifts that lay in each bag and want to see the joy in my face when I opened their gift and they knew I was happy with the gift they had found and in return it made them happy. ( I still feel that way when I give a gift and the person is happy with it.. I feel pride that they liked the gift, and happy I spent my time looking for just the right thing )

Well, I have had some great birthdays, and have had people go out of their way, big time for me.... But this year I'm a little sad, not that I'm getting older ( I always wanted to be older.. don't try to understand you never will).
Just that as the years pass the joy of it goes away. Why? Why does it hold so much as a child and then it becomes just another day as you age? Its like all things.. you no longer can play with toys for long with out getting tired of them.... You no longer have the same veiws of you parents ( they become people to you, not just mom and dad these two superheros who can do anything ).... You find the dream jobs you played and wished for to be .... work.
No wonder Jesus said to have faith like a Child. They can take a small toy and see a world to play with... they never worry about food or clothing for they have mom and dad ( they have faith in their parents, faith with no questions about food or shelter... maybe just about toys and things they want. But the daily bread is there)
This birthday would be the first I don't care about... I don't want gifts I have no place to put them and what I want I can just buy myself...And this is the sad thing, I find the older I get the less I need others.
God made us to be together and enjoy the earth, other people... to tell about Him .
Yes, a birthday is just another day but it's also what we make of it.
If I could have one thing this birthday, it would be to see the world as I once did... my parents as I once did..... and have faith as I once did.

11 Comments:

At 5:44 AM, Blogger Megan said...

Faith like a child. Perfect. Something we should all desire. As for the birthday thing, being in Australia for my 21st, I've found I don't make a BIG enough deal of it. They go all out, make invitations like it's a wedding of some sort and invite EVERYONE to their little shindig. It's weird. Just for a birthday. Foreign concept.

 
At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You would have fun in Austria. They can't stop at ONE day to celebrate, so they also have name days. Every common name in Austria has a particular day of the year associated with it. If your name falls on that day, then friends, family, and even co-workers will give you gifts. They celebrate it like they would your birthday. Sometimes it's even a bigger deal THAN your birthday. (Usually only close friends know your birthday...anyone who knows your name would know your name day!)

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would be a wonderful world if every child didn't have to worry about food and clothes. If they had a safe & happy childhood like most everyone you know. Does your family still give gifts to everyone else in the family on your birthday? I seem to remember when you guys were small that is what you did. Just wait till your 50th! I hope I am around to celebrate with you even tho I will be 80 plus. Now that is something to look forward to!

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, my parents stoped giving everyone a gift when we hit our teens. Yet it made us all look forward to the others birthdays. By all means you can come to my 50th birthday, you can visit me in the old folks home, I want to get in there as soon as I can.. for I want to be the next Effie Butterwick. :)

 
At 3:18 AM, Blogger Megan said...

Hey, that's funny about Austria. Also because every name is a common name. It is ILLEGAL to name your child something unless another Austrian has that name. If the doctor hasn't heard of it, you need the birth certificate of that person to prove that it's true. Crazy, hey? Cause they don't want any weird names over there.

 
At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although some names that are common in Austria might look 'interesting' here; such as Hedwig, Wolfgang, Uri, Ushi, and Manfred. These are a few names of people whom I have met while I was there.

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could book yourself in for a day of pampering at a spa. Maybe get yourself a massage, manicure, facial. Go all out! It's your day!

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in the store looking at cards with mom (90 yrs old)and I saw one that said "Happy Birthday to my boyfriend" and I said do you have anyone you could give that to and in a loud voice because her hearing aid doesn't work, she said "Oh I wouldn't dare!" and then proceeded to tell me that Effie (92 yrs old) said everyone should have a boyfriend! So Effie hasn't given up yet!

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA!

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Superjan said...

oh the Effie saga continues...

 
At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mag; I think you need to write me about your mother and Effie, it would be so funny and you could make millions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home