Sunday, March 19, 2006

It Shall not be Forgiven

Lately I have been reading George Macdonald's book ' Unspoken Sermons' and I find his veiws to draw light to passages I have read over and over but never thought about.
The last sermon was called ' It shall not be forgiven' this one I have to say, taught me what I have a hard time doing...... forgiving.
I can hold on to things that have hurt me for years, and the more I think about it, the more the problem can hurt me over and over again. I never thought it was something I could change or that I even wanted to change, but it has been something I have been told I have to do.. forgive.

These are just parts of his sermon that hit me:

start with -Luke 12:10

- Christ is God's Forgiveness.

- If God forgave a man who was unforgiving and hated his brother, How would the man interpret it? Would it not mean to him, " You may go on hating. I do not mind it. You have had great provocation, and are justified in your hate"? Man would think, Not that God loved the sinner, but that He forgave the sin, which God never does. Every sin meets with its due fate- inexorable expulsion from the paradise of God's Humanity. He loves the sinner so much that He cannot forgive him in any other way than by banishing from his bosom the demon that possesses him, by lifting him out of the mire of his iniquity.


-Forgiveness, is not love merely, but love conveyed as love to the erring, so establishing peace towards God, and forgiveness towards our neighbour.


-Without the Spirit to witness with his spirit, no man could know himself forgiven, even if God appeared to him and said so. The full forgiveness is, when a man feels that God is forgiving him; and this cannot be while he oposes himself to the very essence of God's will.

*- When a man gives up self, his past sins will no longer oppress him.

note: these are just some of the quotes I like from this book, and this was just one sermon, but one I need to get into my thick head.

17 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Blogger shinbone #4 said...

"He loves the sinner so much that He cannot forgive him in any other way than by banishing from his bosom the demon that possesses him, by lifting him out of the mire of his iniquity" That is a fantastic quote my dear!!! It is because of love for the man, that the sin is so hated! Fantastic!
P.S. Love you!
P.P.S. My word verification looks like "lick a zit"! disgusting!

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That george macdonald is one smart man. I'm going to be sad when I'm done reading it.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger shinbone #4 said...

"they got me I dunno how, but they got me" - Doc, of "Back to the Future" fame!

 
At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for being my comment buddie! I feel like I'm worth something when I have a comment or two. Now that I have two I guess thats all a girl can dream for... That and Brad Pitt.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, Brad Pitt. Or Joaquin Phoenix...

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, it would be only Brad or Matthew. And by your pick in another man I would guess you, #1 fan, to be John or Grace.

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wrong! Har Har!

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger shinbone #4 said...

true... you know I have exactly the same taste as D.. which means, I'm not choosey!

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grace not choosey or can't choose?
If not john, or grace.... Kelly? Nikki? Janet? Jeamie? Otherwise I out of people.

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm out, not I out. Ha

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very clever Joy, you're in the ballpark. Depends on the day whether I'm choosy or not...Tally ho!

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well number one fan, you must be a girl, you like Brad Pitt.
But just to have a fan is kinda nice, so I'll leave you anonymous.

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like this comment page is the place to be now!!

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Q -why are there no long distance phones calls in China?
A -because with so many Wings and Wongs you might wing the wong number.

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bahaha!

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joy, my heart longs to see you again...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home