Sunday, April 09, 2006

What have I gotten myself into?

The other day (once again at work) I was asked to become the bar tender. Now I'm a person who has trouble saying no, they said I would get better pay and all I really have to do is make drinks. Easy, right?.....
I said yes, for this reason. First the bar tender they have is leaving and the one who was to take over has been in hospital for the last month and is to be in for another month. They asked me to try it out, but then I got to thinking...

1) I lose all my nights, my shifts will now be 5pm to 12am or 1am.

2) After 9pm I start to take tables because my waitresses go home.

3) Malpe Flag is starting, making the place busy.

4) I felt ok saying yes at first, but what about my family? I forgot how it looks to others, being in a good Christian family and me working in a bar. And I don't feel now like this is something God would really want me to do.

5) How do I now say no?

6) They asked me to try it out only for a month, but I know I'm just going to get stuck over there.

It's funny how in just a matter of moments you change your life, for better of worse. How people see you changes and you are placed with a new marking. What you think you are doing only to help someone out, can make you something you don't want to be or become.
As a little girl if I was told this is the job I would have when I grow up, I most likely would have gotten mad and said "No! I'm going to be a missionary or a mother".
What have I gotten myself into?

6 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as opposed to a bad christian family?

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No! I said that wrong, foot meet mouth. What I mean is Christains get looked at and judged a little harder some times just because they are Christian.
I'm just a sinner saved by God but sometimes I think people ( even other Christains) look at our family and judge us a little harder then other Christians. I don't really know how to type this and not sound bad.
Plus, my pride doesn't want me looking badly in my family's eyes. Once again I feel like the bad apple in the bunch.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Joy, I know your fam will love you no matter what you do, even if you're mixing drinks. However, the fact that you are feeling uncomfortable about this tells me that maybe you would feel better if you say no. I'm sure you can tell them you changed your mind--you've got lots of good reasons to do so!

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Superjan said...

Joy, I agree with Kelly. Under no circumstances should work make you do something that you are uncomfortable with. Tell them they better hire a new bartender, and do it asap. (I really don't understand why they chose you of all people to take over that position anyways...)

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They had no one eles who knew the bar.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Desiree said...

I am turning 31 this year, and I am JUST learning how to say, "I will think about it" before saying yes. I too have a hard time saying no, and having time to think about a decision is all I can ask for sometimes, and it helps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home